An Anglican parochial district was established in New Lynn during 1927, which covered New Lynn, Glen Eden, Titirangi, Laingholm, and Huia. Services were held once a fortnight in Titirangi at the Titirangi Soldiers’ Memorial Church in Park Road, celebrated by a curate from New Lynn.
During 1970 Titirangi formed its own parochial district which was dedicated to St. Francis, and which continues to the present. Services were held weekly in the Soldiers’ Memorial Church until it became too small for the congregation and in 1987 a move was made to the current location. A monthly mid–week Holy Communion service is still held at the Soldiers’ Memorial Church. It remains a popular venue for weddings.
In recent times the model of Local Shared Ministry has been gaining momentum in the Diocese and in 2008, St.Francis adopted this model.
The ministries and missions of the parish traditionally carried out by a vicar are now shared by members of the congregation led by a Ministry Support Team. The team is responsible for Anglican worship, fellowship and Christian outreach of St. Francis.
Three sacramental ministers chosen by the congregation were trained,then ordained by the Bishop of Auckland to celebrate the Eucharist, baptisms, weddings and funerals in the parish. An Anglican priest (called an Enabler) trains and guides the team and is available for spiritual crisis care.
A Church Council elected annually by the congregation, meets monthly and is responsible for overseeing parish policy, property capital works, maintenance and financial management.
The Parish has dedicated teams in various ministries and provides events and support to people in the community whether church-goers or not. Home Communion is available by arrangement.
See Contact us for contact details.